Saturday, July 10, 2010

Father's Day 2010


What a guy Patrick is.

Everyone who reads this already knows that though, right? Anyway, I asked him what he wanted to do for Father's Day this year. It's busy with 3 kids as young as ours, so I thought he might want some time on his own--perhaps to golf or sit and read a book (!?). Instead he chose something he knew the kids would really be excited about--a boat ride. Actually, it was a Ferry ride to a nearby island called Peaks Island. Perfect for kids, as the Ferry departs from the Old Port in Portland and 15 minutes later you dock at Peaks Island. It has the feel of the Vineyard in that it's definitely a destination and a place where people go with a purpose. You don't just end up on Peaks. That said, there's also not a ton to do and the weather was so, so. After a really great Ferry ride, we walked up and down the main street and waited until 10AM ( for the local ice cream shop to open) so the kids could indulge. Hmmmm, father's day or kids day? The kids were super excited to indulge in ice cream that early in the day (and "Smurf" ice cream that tasted like cotton candy).

Ferry going over to Peaks Island






Smurf Ice cream








I almost forgot that we kicked off the day with breakfast in bed for Patrick - our tradition on special days for parents. I asked Lexi what she thought we should make Patrick for breakfast and she said, "Well we just made him pancakes for breakfast in bed on his birthday so we shouldn't do that. I know, let's do something he really loves. Let's make cereal!" She couldn't have been more excited. We delivered a huge bowl of cereal to Patrick in bed. He was, indeed, very happy. It just feels funny to serve cereal for a "special" breakfast.

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I think cereal might be my choice, too!! Cute how Lexi knows her daddy's favorite breakfast, though. That's the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't help but think, "By 10 am, I am usually just awake. Here you are, post-ferry-ride, waiting for ice cream??!!"

    I know, I know... all the joys that await me after childbearing.

    Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When did Finn get so many freckles? Lexi is as gorgeous as ever and Heath looks good with his short haircut. I miss my ME grandchildren so much. Grammy L.

    ReplyDelete