Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Swimming

Lexi and I sat through two whole swim sessions at the Y in Evanston. I mean it was supposed to be her swim class, but she never made it past the bench where parents watch from. So we basically made some donations to the Y.

Something had happened between the parent-tot class (where she was such an eager swimmer and always wanted to swim by herself) and the 3 year old (swim on your own) class and Lex decided the water was not for her.

Did she know that deep down I really, really cared and that her not wanting to swim would just eat away at me? Could I have a kid who didn't swim?

So two classes watching from the bench and a full year later, Lexi declares she's ready to swim again. "Yes, mommy, I won't be afraid anymore," she said. So I cautiously sign her up, not getting my hopes up and, honestly, trying not to think about it much so I won't obsess and ultimately make her nervous.

Finn, Heath (his first swim class ever) and Lex all are signed up for Saturday morning swim class at the Y in Freeport, ME. It takes a professional planner to get us all out of the house on time, breakfast eaten, teeth brushed (we think), dressed, swim gear, diapers, shower essentials, snacks, bottle. We manage somehow.

Lexi cries at first, but then she gets in. She swims. She loves it. I try not to cry. Such a sap, but then I realize Patrick feels the same. And just like that, she now loves swimming. It's that simple. Seriously, if I could translate my fears that easily... Hooray for you Lex, hooray!

(Sorry - the quality of these photos with the lighting in the pool is pretty bad)



Heath's first swim class


No comments:

Post a Comment